Not Religion

Listen to Psalm 51 or read David's poem "Have Mercy on Me"
A poem written by David sometime after the prophet Nathan came to him and called him out on his adultery with Bathsheba.

Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
... For I was born a sinner—
yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
But you desire honesty from the womb [heart],
teaching me wisdom even there.
... You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
You do not want a burnt offering.
The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
(New Living Translation)
Jesus liked to tell this story.
Jesus told a story to some people who were sure they were right with God. They looked down on everybody else. He said to them, "Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee. The other was a tax collector.

"The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself. 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people,' he said. 'I am not like robbers or those who do other evil things. I am not like those who commit adultery. I am not even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. And I give a tenth of all I get.'

"But the tax collector stood not very far away. He would not even look up to heaven. He beat his chest and said, 'God, have mercy on me. I am a sinner.'

"I tell you, the tax collector went home accepted by God. But not the Pharisee. Everyone who lifts himself up will be brought down. And anyone who is brought down will be lifted up." (Luke 18:9-14, New International Reader's Version)
God is not looking for perfect people. He is not looking for religious people. He is looking for honest people. Honest in our view of God and our view of ourselves.

As we read before King David was honest.

0 comments: