Promises

Listen to 2 Samuel Chapter 5 & 6 & 7 or read "Promises"

... The Lord who rules over all says, ..."Your royal house and your kingdom will last forever in my sight. Your throne will last forever."

...Then King David went into the holy tent. He sat down in front of the Lord. He said,

"Lord and King, who am I? My family isn't important. So why have you brought me this far? I would have thought that you had already done more than enough for me. But now, Lord and King, you have also spoken about what is going to happen to my royal house in days to come. ...

"Who is like your people Israel? God, we are the one nation on earth you have saved. You have set us free for yourself. ... You saved us when you set us free from Egypt. You made Israel your very own people forever. Lord, you have become our God.

"And now, Lord God, keep forever the promise you have made to me and my royal house. ... My royal house will be made secure in your sight.

... "Now please bless my royal house. Then it will continue forever in your sight. Lord and King, you have spoken. Because you have given my royal house your blessing, it will be blessed forever." (New International Reader's Version)
Hannah Arendt, a German-born U.S. political philosopher, wrote "Promises are the uniquely human way of ordering the future, making it predictable and reliable to the extent that this is humanly possible."

Human promises are limited by our limited perspective and our ability to keep them. The promises from our Creator, the Creator of the world and universe, can only be completely reliable. God was there in the beginning and has seen the end. Because he is eternal and outside the dimensions of time God has a unique view of history. Through his promises recorded in the bible, his words to us, we can understand the order of time and it's ultimate purpose.

I did a quick review of the major promises of God in the Old Testament.
God promised ...

0 comments: